Do you know why quotes are important in the text? Quotes are the expressions that you can insert into your text. These are the sayings from other people. In most cases, these are famous people, such as politicians, writers, or other popular personalities.
But do you need to use quotations? There are several reasons for using the quotes in your text. Let’s discuss some of them before we learn how to use them.
- First of all, by using quotes you can make your text more interesting. When you insert a quotation in the text, you support your idea or opinion. You can also provide arguments to your thoughts by using quotes.
- Second of all, you show your knowledge and background by using quotes. It can impress the reader when he or she encounters quotations from a well-known or highly respected literature work.
- And finally, it can give you more points from the processor. You can either buy essays or learn how to write them on your own. The first online method is easier as your papers will be written by academic experts. But the second one is more interesting.
Using quotes is great. It can show your proficiency in the subject. It can also prove that you worked on the essay effectively. When you use a quote, the readers understand how engaged you were in the process.
How to Use Quotations: Easy Tips for Students
So you want to play with quotes? Let’s see what you should remember before you use the quotations. There are different rules for the tasks. You can find one set of rules for essay writing. But they can differ depending on the type of institution, task, or even a professor. This is why we offer basic rules that will be helpful for every student.
Before you work with the quotes, you need to check if you choose the correct order of words. The quotation is something that has been said by another person. For this reason, you need to point out in the text by using quotation marks. You can insert a part of the saying. This is called an in-text citation.
If you deal with a direct quotation, you should draw the attention of the reader to the source. Usually, this information is put in the brackets. There are different norms for inserting the quotations in the text. In most cases, you are to mention the year of publication and the author. In other cases, you should also mention the page if the text comes from a book or periodical.
How do you know that you inserted the quote correctly? When you get the task, you receive the additional requirements. They can be attached to the document. Or your tutor can explain them to you. Your task is to check these requirements and see if there are any tips for the quotations.
If you can’t find the information, you should consult your tutor. Only a professor can give you an understanding of the rules. You may also ask your friend about the quotation rules. But it is better to ask your professor, supervisor or ask for detailed information from the department. There should be strict rules that are used in your institution.
In some cases, wrongly added quotations are bad for the text. They can affect originality. Therefore, you will deal with a plagiarized text. For this reason, you should learn these rules before the writing process starts.
When It Is Necessary to Use Quotations?
We have discussed the basic principles for working with quotations in the text. But when should you resort to quotations? There are several rules you should mention when using quotes. Let’s see when it is appropriate to quote someone.
- Use the words of another person when you are impressed with the fragment. You need to truly enjoy the saying to include it in the text. If it is a memorable one, don’t hesitate to insert it into your text.
- Make sure the fragment is relevant. It often happens that we like a quote from our favorite book and want to use it. But it doesn’t meet the situation. If you see that a quote isn’t necessary, you should omit it and find a better one.
- You know where it comes from. If you remember a saying that you heard someday, you can’t use it in the text. You should provide credible resources for the quote. If you don’t have them or you are unsure about the credits, don’t use the quotations. It will affect the originality of the paper.
These are the rules to follow when you work with the quotations. You need to stick to them before you write a quote to your essay. It may sound perfect. But check if it relates to all 3 points in the list.
Inserting quotes is necessary. If you want to make your writing more interesting and meaningful, you can’t go without the quotes. But you need to know how to use them and when it is better to use quotations.
Otherwise, you can spoil your paper and even get more plagiarized content. For this reason, you should first learn how to insert the quotes into the text. And only then you can play with them. Using quotes is a nice experience. Make sure you don’t lose the opportunity to insert quotations correctly in your text.